Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Web Conferencing: The Basics

Web Conferencing: The Basics


Web Conferencing is a service which allows someone to communicate with another primarily via webcam. Web Conferencing can be used in the professional world, especially if the company has offices in various locations. People also use it for "webinars" which are web-based seminars often using webcam capabilities as well. For example, my Mother's company has offices in Rochester, London and China. She often has to use Web Conferencing  to speak to them from her office or have a meeting with their executives.

Links:
www.skype.com
www.oovoo.com
http://www.google.com/talk/


Personal Application of Web Conferencing:
I use Web Conferencing on a daily basis. As many other college students, I am in a long distance relationship. However, my situation is a bit unique. In my case, my fiance lives in London, England. We met years ago on a website for NHL Hockey fans and have been together for three years. The use of Instant Messaging and Web Conferencing especially has been a staple in our relationship. Until I graduate college we will be long distance, and surprisingly it is not too hard to maintain the relationship with the help of Skype. We go back and forth numerous times a year visiting each other, and in the off times we have Skype. I cannot even begin to describe how important Skype has been to us. We are able to see each other and communicate daily. Due to our distance, communication is the backbone of our relationship; thus, we are extremely healthy when communicating our wants and feelings to each other. Many people pass judgement when they learn of our particular locations, but I owe everything to the internet otherwise we never would have found each other, and you can find your soulmate anywhere. Mine just happened to be in England. Once I graduate he will live here, but until then, Skype has been a vital aspect of our relationship.


0 comments:

Post a Comment